Topic: Old Dog / New Tricks
Hosted by the AISA ACT Branch, please join us for a face-to-face meeting and networking opportunity with a live and interactive presentation and discussion on how today's cyber landscape has its roots in the tools and methodologies of the Cold War with guest speakers Mike Pritchard, who is the Regional Sales Manager at Cydarm and Shanna Daly, who is Principal Consultant at Cosive.
With the aid of genuine spy artefacts Mike and Shanna will give examples of how the motivations and methodology of Cold War espionage have carried through to modern infosec. Drawing on Shanna’s deep experience in mitigating current cyber threats, and Mike’s extensive collection of espionage tech, this talk will take you from housebreaking to Access Brokers, from typewriters to Keyloggers, from bugs and Kompromat cameras to RATS, from speech-over-IR to malware C&C - and more.
Genuine spy equipment is usually destroyed so surviving artefacts are both rare and expensive. This presentation is probably unique in the world in that it brings vintage espionage artefacts out from locked cases into an intimate setting with friends to illustrate the roots of modern cyber threats.
Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions of the speaker and refreshments and drinks will be served after the presentation.
Mike Pritchard has worked in infosec for over ten years and recently joined Cydarm, an Australian sovereign SecOps platform vendor. Mike has built an extensive collection of vintage espionage and "birth of cyber" artefacts as part of his personal giving back project to stand up a historical and educational resource.
Shanna Daly is one of Australia's best known Threat Hunter / Incident Responders, with over twenty years of experience across GRC, auditing, pen testing and more recently data forensics and incident response. Shanna is now a lead consultant with Cosive, a specialist Australasian cyber services company.
Date: Thursday 29 September 2022
Time: 5:30pm - 7:30pm (AEST)
5:15pm – 5:30pm Registration
5:30pm – 6:30pm Presentation
6:30pm – 7:30pm Post Event Networking
Venue: Crowne Plaza, 1 Binara Street, Canberra ACT 2601
Registrations Close: At 5pm on 28 September 2022
COST TO ATTEND:
Registration is free for AISA members
Non-Members: $90 plus GST*
* Please note that this is the same amount as an AISA Membership. Register and pay so that you automatically join to become a member of AISA, and therefore registration is free and you have signed up as an AISA member which is valid for 12 months.
HOW TO REGISTER:
- Members must be signed in to register
- To register for this event click on the Register Myself button
- Now your registration is pending checkout, please scroll to the bottom of your page and click on the button Proceed to Checkout to confirm your registration
- Once you have confirmed your registration this item will appear in your Shopping Cart
- If you are an AISA member the price should be $0.00 OR if you are a non-member please make payment via credit card
- Please proceed to Submit Order button
- A confirmation of order will be emailed to you once your registration is confirmed OR payment has been made
- Please note if you DO NOT submit order you will not be registered for this event
If you have any queries regarding this event please contact the Event Coordinator Clare Dillon at [email protected]
AISA presentations are intended for educational purposes only. Statements of fact and opinions expressed are those of the participants individually and, unless expressly stated to the contrary, are not the opinion or position of AISA, its sponsors, or its partners. AISA does not endorse or approve, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, accuracy or completeness of the information presented. Attendees should note that sessions may be recorded and published in various media, including print, audio and video formats without further notice.